Portugal allows applying for the Residence Permit for Investment Activity (ARI).Golden Visa Program offers non-European Union investors a fast track to obtaining a valid residency permit. The visa is initially valid for one year, renewable twice thereafter at 2-year intervals.
Property Acquisition From €280,000
– €500,000 – purchase residential or commercial real estate.
– (€400,000 – a reduced rate of 20% applied when purchasing real estate located in low GDP or low populated density areas).
– €350,000 – purchase residential or commercial real estate over 30 years old requiring renovation.
– €280,000 – a reduced rate of 20% applied when purchasing a real estate located in low GDP or low populated density)
Creation of 10 Jobs or Business Investment
– Create a minimum of 10 new jobs оr
– Invest a minimum of €500,000 in business and create a minimum of 5 permanent jobs.
Capital Transfer From €1,500,000
Applicants must make a capital investment into a Portuguese bank account or specifically approved investment options.
– A minimum of €500,000 subscription in a qualifying Portuguese fund.
– Subscription can be free or at times a one-time commission fee of up to 7.5% of money invested is charged
– In order to maintain a residence permit in Portugal and obtain citizenship, an investor can not withdraw investments earlier than after 6 years.
– Cost of investing in funds is lower than when buying real estate. There are no taxes on the profits of investors who buy fund units under residence permit program in Portugal and do not become tax residents of the country. Annual costs only include the commission of the fund on the profit.
– Invest a minimum of €250,000 in preserving national heritage in Portugal.
– Invest a minimum of €500,000 in a research and development activity in Portugal.
To be eligible for a Golden Visa for Portugal, you have to fulfill the following requirements:
The first step is talking with Immigration advisors. They will evaluate your circumstances and help you select the most suitable program and real estate option. A detailed checklist will be provided, and you will be guided through the documents collection stage. Experienced immigration advisors will prepare all the required documents along with the residency application and will conduct a final check of each document for compliance to ensure all requirements are met, including, proof of investment documentation.
After that the purchase of real estate in Portugal, investment in a Portuguese business, or capital transfer to the Bank of Portugal should be undertaken. An appointment must be booked for you and your family to submit biometrics in Portugal.
The complete application along with all supporting documents will be submitted to the SEF, the body that processes Golden Residence Permit applications along with documentary evidence of the real estate acquisition or the investment.
Once the application is reviewed you will be granted the residence permit, valid for 1 year, extendable for 2 years each time, provided you meet the 7 days per year requirement, with the right to settle in Portugal and travel throughout the Schengen Area. After the fifth year, you can apply for permanent residency followed by citizenship.
Privacy World offers its services to anyone, not only looking to obtain residency and/or citizenship processes but our experts figure out legal ways to:
Privacy World can also help you with incorporating your company in Portugal, assisting in getting you settled in the country, and coordinating with you so that this experience will be less of a hassle.
Want Privacy World to handle your case? Have any questions? Contact us!
Portugal allows dual citizenship. Hence, Portuguese citizens holding or acquiring foreign citizenship do not lose Portuguese citizenship. Similarly, those becoming Portuguese citizens do not have to renounce their foreign citizenship.
Yes, the inclusion of family members, such as spouse or partner, dependent children, and dependent parents.
You don’t have to move to Portugal to keep your residence permit. Staying in the country for seven days on average per year will suffice, you can be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship in five years.
Yes, you will likely be asked to attend an interview at the Portuguese Embassy where you are submitting your application.
Yes, proving basic knowledge of the Portuguese language is required from every applicant for either permanent residency or citizenship.
It takes five years of residency to be eligible to apply for citizenship. Once you apply for citizenship, it takes roughly six months to get naturalized in Portugal.
Residents of Portugal are taxed on their worldwide income at progressive rate varying from 14.5% to 48% for 2021.
Non-residents are liable to income tax only on Portuguese-source income. Non-residents are taxed at a flat rate of 25% on their taxable remuneration in 2021.
There is no net worth/wealth tax in Portugal. However, the identification number of bank accounts held abroad must be disclosed in the annual income tax return.
There is inheritance tax in Portugal it was abolished in 2004. However, stamp duty is at a relatively generous rate of 10% on Portuguese assets.