About Botswana Citizenship and Residency
Botswana offers residency by investment program.
The Republic of Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. It is one of the less populated countries in the world with a population of only two million. Botswana develops very fast, the main sectors of the economy are mining, cattle, and tourism.
The most relevant law, related to foreigners` work, and immigration are the Botswana Labour and Immigration Laws and the Employment of Non-Citizens Act. According to the law, foreigners can obtain a permanent residence permit in Botswana after residing for five years in Botswana.
Botswana Residency by Investment Program
- Foreign applicants can obtain residence permits through investment in Botswana after a minimum investment of 1 million BWP (app 82,000 euros/USD,93000).
- Investor residents may also apply for the Tax Exempt Clearance Certificate (TCC)
- The immigration process under the Botswana residency by investment program takes 1 to 3 months.
Botswana offers several residencies through investment schemes for foreign investors. The eligibility of the applicants depends on a point-based system, developed by the government.
- Tier1: Sponsored Investors
- Investors can apply for the Botswana residence permit by investing in projects recognized by public institutions, the approval process in these cases is automatic!
- Tier2: Production Sector
- Agriculture, Manufacturing, Mining, Water, Electricity and Construction projects
- Tier3: Services Sector
- Applicable for investors in Communications, Finance and Business Services, Information Technology, Social and Personal Services, Trade, Transport and Tourism.
All non-citizens who wish to stay in Botswana should apply for a residence permit to allow them to live in the country. Persons who are above 18 are required to apply separately if they wish to stay in Botswana and their applications should be supported by the person(s) upon whom they will depend while in Botswana.
Supporting documents required for a residence permit:
Applicable to all
- Two recent colored passport-size photos
- Certified copy of the birth certificate. If the applicant is unable to provide such proof of birth, a statement setting out the reasons must be attached
- Certified copy of the marriage certificate for each applicant if applicable
- A medical report of a full physical examination
- Supporter’s particulars- Copy of Omang or Residence Permit, Work Permit and letter of support
- Letter of consent from the parent if the supporter is not a biological parent
- If legally separated, provide a copy of the court order certified as being correct by an official of the court which made it
- Certified copy of adoption certificate where applicable
- Proof of admission letter
- Certified copies of educational certificates and references
- Job posting of position secured
- Localization plan
- Stock Card and Brand Certificate (Herd Boy)
- Field certificate or lease agreement (Farm Labourer)
- Accreditation from Botswana Football Association (Footballers and coaches)
- Ordination certificate and Church registration certificate (Pastors)
- Clearance Certificate from Education (Teachers)
- Clearance from Ministry of Health (Doctors)
- Clearance from Botswana Accountancy Association (Accountants)
- Name of business
- Location of business
- Service provided or goods sold
- Number of employees hired
- Shares held
- Value of property owned or copy of lease agreement
- Type of trading license held
- Tax returns
- Company bank statement for the most recent 3 months
This visa is issued to business people who regularly visit Botswana as directors of companies based in the country. It is also issued to individuals who have investment projects in Botswana. The visa authorizes the holder to enter Botswana for investment purposes for a period of up to five (5) years.
The costs associated with this service are as follows:
- Multiple entries – for a period of up to six (6) months BWP1,000.00 (US$100);
- Multiple entries – for a period up to six (6) months to five (5) years BWP 2,500.00 (US$(250.00)
Supporting documents required for Investment Visa
The following documents are required to be submitted with the application form:
- Certified copy of pages 1 and 2 of passport showing validity period not less than six months.
- Two recent colored passport-size photos.
- Covering letter indicating reasons for visit.
- Flight itinerary and accommodation bookings or residential address in Botswana.
- A re-entry permit to the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident if such a permit is required by that country.
- Certificate of incorporation.
- Share Certificate.
- Trading license.
- Schedule of meetings or activities to be undertaken during a visit.
- Business (in other countries) and personal bank statements.
Non-citizens who meet the following criteria are eligible for this service.
- Resided lawfully in Botswana continuously for at least 5 years
- Be of good character
- Have made significant contributions to Botswana
- Be of good standing in the society
- Have enough means to support oneself and dependents
Requirements Applicable to All
- Covering letter from the applicant
- Two copies of a valid certified passport
- Two recent colored passport-size photos per applicant
- Certified marriage certificate if applicable
- Letter of support from supporter/spouse/mission
- Proof of means of support in Botswana
- Most recent month’s bank statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certified educational certificates of the highest level of education obtained
- Reference letter from employer
- Letter of a job offer from an employer
- Wages sheet of employees which indicates the duration of employment of employees
- Certified copies of identity cards for citizen employees
- Submit valid and certified copies of the following:
- Valuation of shares.
- Share certificate.
- Certificate of incorporation.
- Form 2 – List of directors.
- Current year’s financial statements.
- Title deed/lease agreement of business premise(s).
- Trading license.
- Most recent year’s tax return.
The cost associated with this service is BWP 3000.00 per applicant.
This service takes six months.
Citizenship Through Naturalization:
The Certificate of Naturalization can be issued to investors, employees, students, immigrants and dependents to give them the same rights as all citizens of Botswana.
All foreigners who have resided in Botswana for an aggregate period of not less than ten years and have resided in Botswana for a continuous period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of application.
Supporting Documents Needed:
Requirements applicable to all
- Completed Certificate for Naturalization (Form L)
- Two recent colored passport-size photos
- Two certified copies of a valid Botswana residence permit
- Completed set of police report forms
- Certified copy of a birth certificate
- Certified copy of marriage certificate and copy of spouse’s citizenship status (if applicable)
- Certified copies of the applicant’s educational qualifications (if married, also provide spouse’s educational qualifications)
- Copy of Curriculum Vitae
Additional Requirements for Student
- Admission letter from the educational institution
- Proof of payment of tuition
Additional Requirements for Dependents and Immigrants
- Proof of parents’ citizenship status
Additional Requirements for Employees
- Value of property owned.
- Employment contract
Additional Requirements for Investors
Those operating businesses should state:
- Name of business.
- Location of business.
- Service provided.
- The number of employees hired.
- The number of shares held.
- Value of property owned or copy of lease agreement.
- Type of trading license held.
- Tax return for the past year.
The cost is BWP1000.00 for each applicant.
Approximately one year to process.
Benefits of Botswana Residency by Investment
- Botswana has been a peaceful nation, since its independence in 1966.
- According to Transparency International, it is the least corrupt country in Africa.
- Botswana has the highest sovereign credit ranking and the second freest economy in Africa.
- Botswana has one of the fastest income growth per capita in the world.
- Botswana provides access to a market of 230 million people, the Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Duty-free access to Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland.
- Duty-free and quota-free access to the EU (European Union) market.
- Most of the workforce speaks English, and the literacy rate is 82%.
- No labor tensions.
- No foreign exchange controls and restrictions on foreign ownership.
- Botswana allows full repatriation and remittance of profits and dividends.
- Duty-free import solutions of machinery and equipment for manufacturing activities.
Botswana Requirements And Qualifications
Botswana residency and visa requirements are listed in About Botswana Residency and Citizenship Section.
Steps And Timeline
Steps: Residence permit:
Step 1. Complete an application form for a residence permit
Step 2. Submit the application form to any Immigration office and pay the applicable fees
Step 3. Check the outcome from the office where you applied
If the application is successful, a residence permit sticker will be stamped on the passport
If unsuccessful, an applicant can appeal the outcome and or leave the country
Steps: Investment Visa
- Apply to any immigration office, Botswana embassy or consulate to fill and submit Form 1 (Application for Visa) in person.
- Submit the required documents with the application form.
- Check the outcome of your application from the office where the application was submitted after seven (7) working days.
- An approval/rejection letter is sent to the office where the application was made.
- If the Visa application is approved, it will be printed at the office where the application was made or if not printed the applicant can travel with the approval letter as proof of a Visa to Botswana and the Visa will be printed at the Airport/Immigration Ports of Entry.
- It takes seven (7) to fourteen (14) days.
Privacy World offers its services to anyone, not only looking to obtain residency and citizenship processes but our experts figure out legal ways to:
- Find the best solution for your needs.
- Identify and deploy a strategy to help you accomplish your goals.
- Activate our network of people in the country where you need help without having you search for the best solution or lawyer. We only work with licensed people in every country whom we carefully vet and pass the guidelines and principles of privacy we stand for.
- Focus on cutting through the red tape and expedite your process.
- Provide proper communication with you about your case.
…. and above all: Offer you legal strategies to provide additional layers of privacy for your identity, while obtaining your residency or citizenship!
Privacy World can also help you incorporate your company into Botswana, assisting in getting you settled in the country, and coordinating with you so that this experience will be less hassle.
Want Privacy World to handle your case? Have any questions? Contact us!